- Spend a semester abroad in beautiful Seville, Spain for the same cost as a semester on campus in Maine.
- Enjoy life outside of class with a variety of activities, clubs, volunteer opportunities and outings. Travel and experience Spain and the rest of Europe.
- Experience Spanish culture through activities and excursions to sites of cultural importance in and around Seville.
- Travel to Morocco to visit another ancient and modern culture. Visit the UNE campus in Tangier.
- Learn and/or improve your Spanish language skills with an intensive language program (no prior Spanish necessary).
- Stay on track with your major and meet UNE requirements through on-site courses in the lab sciences and humanities.
- Take Applied Microbiology, Anatomy & Physiology II, or Organic Chemistry with onsite labs at the host university. Study Spanish, earn Advanced Studies credits in history and political science, and take international business and culture classes taught in English.
The capital of Andalusia, Seville was one of the last footholds of the Moorish empire that ruled the Iberian Peninsula. It is home to the ingenious barber of Seville and the tempestuous Carmen.
Though the city preserves its past, modern Seville is the commercial hub of Andalusia. For a city of fewer than 800,000, Seville offers amazing cultural activities, from flamenco to classical, pop and jazz concerts.
Living in Seville
To further your language knowledge and cultural understanding, you'll live with a Spanish host family in Seville. Host families typically have two students in their home and provide meals and laundry service. You'll be within walking distance of a metro or bus stop, enabling you to commute to the university by public transportation.
Guided multi-day excursions to Granada, Spain and Tangier, 摩洛哥都包含在这个留学项目, as well as cultural outings within Seville. You'll also have the opportunity to volunteer in local schools — and those with advanced Spanish language skills may also volunteer at a local hospital.
You'll be met at the airport in Seville and immediately begin a three-day orientation to introduce you to the country, the culture, and the academic program. The orientation provides both structured activities and independent sightseeing. Ongoing support will be provided to you throughout your stay in Seville.
UNE students will enroll in semester courses taught in English at Pablo de Olavide University (UPO), Spain's newest public university with a student population of 9,000. The modern campus is located just 5 miles outside historic Seville and is easily accessible by city transit. The courses listed below provide numerous options that will enable you to stay on track with your UNE major. You'll also enroll in a Spanish language course.
Choose at least one Spanish course and 3 or 4 of the following other courses taught in English at UPO. Students will receive transfer credit for courses taken at UPO as outlined in the course list below, with the exception of the Biology and Organic Chemistry courses, which are UNE courses and for which students, therefore, receive UNE institutional credit. All courses are three credits each, with the exception of the Intensive Spanish course taken prior to the start of the regular semester, which is one credit in the Fall and two in the Spring. An Application for Transfer Course Work form must be completed and submitted to the Global Education Program office during the course registration period.
- Tuition for up to 18 credits
- Housing, meals, and laundry
- Dedicated leadership and support
- On-campus extracurricular activities, gym, and workshops
- Pre-departure and onsite orientation program
- Cultural activities, local excursions, and field trips
You'll spend 16-18 weeks in Seville. Fall semester students arrive in Seville in late August and return home in mid-December. Spring semester students arrive in early January and return in late May.
Students are required to have a 2.9 minimum GPA. No Spanish experience is necessary, and all majors are welcome. Students must bring their own laptops.
You will keep all UNE scholarships and financial aid and will be billed the same tuition that you would be billed for a traditional on-campus semester, plus UNE standard double room & board. You'll be required to arrange your own flight to Seville's San Pablo Airport (SVQ). Scholarships may be available; contact the Global Education team for more details.
Ready to apply for a semester in Spain? Fill out our easy online application or visit us at the Global Education desk on the 2nd floor of the Commons or Decary Hall 126.
April 15, 2023
October 15, 2023
April 15, 2024
October 15, 2024